1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best roo to keep??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jhd9201, Nov 26, 2014.

1. jhd9201

jhd9201 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    KS
    I have 3 six mo old roosters, one of which crowed today for first time. He is the meanest, starting fights etc. He is the one I like the least. He will try to peck my hands, face, etc. Anything really. He will chase the kids(3 and 4 yr olds) but I stand my ground and make the girls do the same. Anyway, one of the others is really laid back, shy. Doesn't get I to fights too much, if at all. The middle will, he will challenge the meanest of the 3, almost constantly it seems. Lol my question is which one is the one I should keep?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Eliminate the human aggressive cockerel, and then evaluate the behavior of the other two. Their personalities may change once the aggressive cockerel is gone.

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This. Never, ever keep a bird that's aggressive to your littles. Kiddo eyeballs are irreplaceable, roosters are a dime a dozen.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I absolutely agree with the answers above.

Get rid of that one, wait a while and see what happens.. then pick one. With kids involved would go ahead with the non-aggressive one.

You might hear aggressive roosters are more fertile- not true. Ignore that if it happens to come up.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    All great advise! Mary

6. jhd9201

jhd9201 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2014
    KS
    Great!! Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by