Best Roof for Florida Heat - Help

mlahodik

Chirping
Sep 19, 2020
Vero Beach, FL
Hi we are building our 1st coop this weekend. The coop is on the west side of the house, so it will get afternoon sun. Trying to decide what type of roof we should use. Florida heat is a beast. It's going to be slanted under the house's roof to prevent rain from flooding it since we don't have gutters there. He made the foundation frame and now is removing the sod. We are trying to find the 1/2 inch hardware wire to put under the whole thing. We have pavers laying around and were thinking of putting them under the frame to hold mesh and maybe to fill the area inside, so I don't have to use much fill dirt or sand, pine shavings.

1. What roof would you recommend? What tips would you suggest at this stage? Thinking of Texas style open with a poop tray on the coop area. it is 6x12.
2. Would putting an apron of hardware cloth around it be enough? or should I consider covering the entire bottom area under? Hubby was thinking of just putting an apron attached from the foundation out about 18 inches out.

coop.jpg
processed.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't live south, but seems to me that large roof overhangs are a must, for sun and rain protection, and a shingle roof with insulation, if you can make it rodent proof, would also help with summer sun.
Make sure that water will drain away from the coop! Raise the base if necessary, add drainage outside, whatever it takes to prevent heavy rains from pooling there.
Chickens will dig into the shavings, dirt, or whatever, at least six inches down, so if you do hardware cloth under, have it buried deep enough.
Will this be a free standing structure? Will you tie it down into the ground, or is it going to blow over in wind? Building codes?
Lots of good building advice here, and check on your state's thread too.
Mary

1. What roof would you recommend? What tips would you suggest at this stage? Thinking of Texas style open with a poop tray on the coop area. it is 6x12.
Deep overhangs, and whatever you use I would insulate the underside of the roof to reduce heat radiating downwards.

Yes, a huge wire box, with a few plantation shutter type things around the roosting area are great for heat. (Sometimesthey like a little visual block to make them feel more secure. Also, you might want some way to block winds during hurricans.) The breeze blowing over perches is GOOD where it is hot.

2. Would putting an apron of hardware cloth around it be enough?

Yes, and the best idea in my opinion since chickens tend to dig so much.

You might want to toss a little grazing frame over a bit of that nice grass, so one patch gets to survive in the run.

Back
Top Bottom