Best roofing material for heat and sun

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LVchicks, Feb 28, 2013.

1. LVchicks

LVchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    We will start building the chicken coop this weekend. The only thing I am still iffy on is what to use for the roof.
    We live in S. TX with some very intense sun and heat. The coop will be under trees but will still get sun.
    I'm confused about the polycarbonate panels (like SunTuf) I'm getting mixed ideas reading, good for environments like mine or not? I know that plywood or corrugated metal will be hot and stuffy as all get out.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Polycarbonate will break down in sun. The only thing that varies with better quality stuff is how long it takes. I have metal, wouldn't have anything else. It lasts forever. If you feel it will make the coop too hot then you might need to reconsider your coop design. They need very good air flow most of the year in the south, because of the heat, and we never get anything that feels like winter to them. Mine actually go in the coop in the heat of a sunny summer day because it is cooler with the air flow through there. Here are some good designs for Southern coops

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/163417/please-show-me-your-hot-weather-coops/0_20

3. davep763

davep763 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Is the metal roof really noisy when it rains?

4. LVchicks

LVchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    We have quite a bit of ventilation planned. Metal painted white maybe? It is going to be hot no matter what we use I just want the least hot possible :D
    Metal just says hot to me but I can see where they polycarbonate might break down under the sun....goodness knows everything else does. We are building it in the 'coolest' part of the yard but that doesn't mean too much in South Texas.

5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Polycarbonate would be a bad choice in my opinion. I use exterior beadboard for my roofing. I have also use corrugated metal but only with beadboard below or with an insulated roof.

Kinda hard to see... but the housing to the left has corrugated metal and to the right of it beadboard roof. Both are excellent and you will want them sloped for drainage.
    [​IMG]

This shows a simple roof with exterior beadboard - two 4x8 sheets (it comes prepainted on top and unpainted bottom). The below housing is shown completed in the picture up above to the right.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by