Best rookie egg layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hawgon, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    What are the best egg layer breeds with kids involved in the process also...

2. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I have my first flock, so I am still new to this, but I would highly recommend Golden Comets. We have two and they are sweet birds who lay practically every day. Our first layer was a Golden Comet at 18 1/2 weeks.

3. LadiesMan017

LadiesMan017 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Silkies are GREAT with kids! My hen is now 8 months old, has been laying for about a month, and lays 4 eggs per week. If you have several of them, then there might not be any skipped days of eggs.
    They are a VERY docile breed.

4. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    It all depends on what other requirements you have. The sexlink chickens(including Golden Comets) lay very well for just a year or so then burn out. That is what they are bred to do as commercial production birds. If you want birds that live longer and lay for more years(although fewer eggs per year) look to breeds like the Speckled Sussex that are one of the most curious and friendly birds we have ever owned. For a real conversation starter and fairly good egg layer the Buff Bramhas are great as well as being very docile and really good pets.

There are so many breeds with so many different traits it is hard to advise someone but there are breed selection charts where you can pick the traits that suit you and it will give you several choices to pick from.

5. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Wife and grand daughters like silkies but heard they have small eggs, so wanted some for egg laying not just for pets. Thanks for all the info.

6. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Oh, and I am getting a naked neck just because I want one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by