Best Rooster Breed to Beef up Chicks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Chicky-dees, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Chicky-dees

Chicky-dees Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Howdy all! Was wanting to get some opinions on rooster breeds. I am looking to take my little hobby flock to a new level next year and produce more chickens to actually eat, instead of keeping pet hens around for eggs only. What do you think would be a good rooster to turn in loose with the egg-laying ladies? I'm not looking for a huge carcass weight, just something a little meatier than my egg laying types.

My egg-layers are Wyandotte, Austrolorp, Ameracuna and Barred Rock.

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    You are already off to a good start with the breeds you have. I don't have any expirience crossing any of these, but if it where me, I'd try to find a nice sized BR roo to put in with them.

3. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I would say Barred Rock or Buff Orphington. I have an Australorp but he is 3x as old as my BO and dwarfs compared to the big orange ball.

4. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    I have several roosters, and was surprised at the growth rate and size of my Delaware rooster. He is now 7 months old and is huge in both height and bulk. He basically reached his present size in about four months, which is a pretty good growth rate for a dual purpose bird. My new RIR roosters have gotten real big also, but not at the same rate as the Delaware. They are taller, but less meat. I butchered four Iowa blue roosters at six months and they had a pretty nice carcass, much like a Cornish X, but of course a smaller breast. One last thing about the Delaware, he was supposed to be a hen.

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

What about a Dark or White Laced Red Cornish for wide breasts?

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you truly want to beef up your birds, go with non-hatchery stock or hatchery Cornish. I've said it loads of times and will say it again, hatcheries breed solely for egg production no matter the breed, so thus they're smaller than they should be. Get some non-hatchery based birds and see the difference. [​IMG]

Sussex, Brahmas, Orpingtons, Cornish, Rocks, French Marans - Just a few that could really help, but mainly if you get them from show lines or imported lines.

7. Chicky-dees

Chicky-dees Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    I have never looked around here for breeders - I've always bought from the ag store or online like typical hobbyists do. This could be the start of a new adventure!! I'll give it a go!

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you get yourself an incubator or have a broody hen handy, there's a whole big world of choices when you shop online for hatching eggs. [​IMG] That way you can look for whatever you want.

Hatching eggs are indeed a risk considering they're shipped but the best thing to do is look for someone who packs well, has good reviews, and buy from them at the right time of year/weather. Also try and avoid getting eggs from someone who's on the opposite end of the Country. [​IMG]

9. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I would get a non hatchery Orp. I have a black half english orp that is one of my youngest cockrels, about 4 months, and he is huge, bigger than my full grown BA roo.

10. GhostRider65

GhostRider65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    NE Wisconsin
    I hate to differ, but my extra roo's dressed out at 6 or 7 lbs at 20 weeks, W Rocks, BO, and 1 GLW. I have babies now that were born May 25th, Delawares, BR, SS all hatchery stock, that are ready or more than ready to butcher, I think my BR and Dels weigh at least 9 or 10 lbs already. Though part of it is what I fed them till 14 weeks, I'm sure but they are not small at all.
    I had a couple BO in my first batch that were though, maybe 4 or 5 lbs at butcher, I didn't weigh them all.

To The OP
    I would use a BR or Delaware Roo, if your looking for a breast y meaty bird tho.....I would get a Cornish......... can't beat that cross for meat.
    Not sure what egg production in the future hens would be though.... well ya could always butcher those too I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by