1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best rooster breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sophiajw23, Mar 21, 2011.

1. sophiajw23

sophiajw23 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    Northern California
    Our rooster was recently eaten and we are trying to figure out what breed to get next. We want them to be friendly and social if possible but def not aggressive. We will only want one maybe twoo roosters but plan on breeding him as well. We have an egg laying flock with random hens ameboid fun flock with silkies and polish. One rooster for each? What's everyones fav breeds?

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it's more of an individual thing than a breed thing. Some breeds do have better reputations thatn others but it's not a sure thing.

The only rooster I've had that I would trust 100% in any situation was a Buff Orpington. But some of his offspring were very aggressive so it can be a tricky thing. Currently my most docile roosters are a Silver Phoenix, a Silver Spangled hamburg, and 3 mixed breed roosters with my lovely buff Orp as the daddy.

The most aggressive are an EE mix who adores me but flogs everyone else and one of the other sons of my lovely buff Orp.

It's a crap shoot. Generally large breeds are better, the heavier and more ornate the breed the more docile they are. There are always exceptions to the rule.

Also unless you have the breeds separated they will interbreed so there is no point in getting different roosters for the different hens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    silkie roosters are calm. cochins also. my orpington thinks he is a lap dog. you could get an easter egger then your next generation might lay green eggs. I'm sure if you go on your states thread somebody will have a roo to replace yours.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It is a crapshoot if you get them from a hatchery. [​IMG]

Your odds are MUCH better off when getting from a breeder who you know doesn't breed hatchery stock birds. From my experience, I've never ever met a mean Ameraucana (real one, not an Easter Egger) though I've heard of 2 cases here on BYC, 2 out of who knows how many is pretty good.

Cochins, Silkies (non-hatchery, as some hatchery boys can get pretty mean) Orpingtons, Brahmas, most other large or fluffy breeds are good choices.

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:My black bantam roosters were very snippy. I only had one attack but I had one that would just peck me all the time. I think something BIG. The bigger the rooster the better from what I hear. I would go Jersey Giant or Standard Cochin

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    My vote is for a cubalaya - flashy, beautifully colored, and have a great disposition with people. They also make pretty offspring. [​IMG]

7. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    My vote says Turken/naked neck. I also had a silver Ameraucana who was a gentleman until challenged by a Guinnea Roo. I thought that he would wear himself to death as they chased each other all over the meadow. I caught up with the chicken and segregated them form then on. But my turken was always a gentleman in every situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by