Best rooster leg cut. Owners fault pictures added

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dustponds10, Oct 26, 2011.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well, like it says my very best rooster has an open wound on his leg because I neglected to cut the band off his leg before he got large. He has an open wound and does not have the energy to eat much because it hurts to walk. I can seperate him if needed but I am in need of some advice on what to do with the wound. the band was really tight and his leg had grown around it some. Please Help. I cannot replace him and I dont have another one that is the quality. I know STUPID OWNER. I am pretty anxious and panicked.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    First, flush the wound with an iodine wash to clean it and then treat with neosporin or wonder powder.

Second, I'd also isolate him for a while until so he can relax and heal in peace.

Third, don't worry about WHY it happened...focus on fixing it.

3. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Ok I dont have any iodine right now and the soonest that I could get some is most likely Friday. What kind of Iodine Neosporin I do have I think do you cover it with anything or just leave it open to the air?

4. Davian

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Leave it open. You can get iodine wash at any farm/feed store as its used for washing wounds. For neosporin (or generic 3-1 ointment), just make sure to use the non-painkiller version of it. The painkiller type is very very bad for chickens.

5. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Ok so here is what I have done. I diluted some iodine cause the stuff I have is for cows . Then ingot a syrenge and flushed the wound really good I also treated the rest of the leg just to make sure the area was steril. Then I put the neosporin on the leg heavily on the wound. How often should I treat the area ? Daily or what?

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I would leave off the neo in the future since it needs to dry out in order to heal quickly. If it's gummed it, it will take longer to heal. I've seen this type of wound before and it won't take long for it to heal up. You done good to remove the band before he lost his leg. [​IMG]

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    It would be helpful to give his leg a good soak in warm epsom salts water. It will help it feel better and heal faster. Then you can dry it and put the stuff on it.
    sharon

8. Davian

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    Quote:I'd personally put it on for a day or two and then switch to the powder. As long as its not long-term, it should hurt the wound...but to each his own.

9. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    What kind of powder are we talking about? Today I got home from work and I went out to check the birds and the rooster was still in the same exact spot that he was perched on when I left this morning this worried me a bit, well ok a ton really. He was looking really bad with feathers all frilled out and just sick. So here is what I did. I have some cages for roosters that I got from a guy that are small but have feeders on the bottom so that he didnt have to stand up to eat or even move to eat really because they are low. So I put some food in the feeder and gave him water and watched him for a bit. Ok I watched him for about an hour and I plan to watch him some more tonight also. Long story short he is eating, I pushed his beak in the water a few times so he knew it was there but he was content on eating all he could. I am guessing that he hasnt eaten for some time because he hasnt stopped eating yet.

Before I put him in his cage I doctored the wound again with some Iodine and put some neo on it pretty thick and even said a prayer . The wound looked like it was scabbed over and it looked swollen as well but after I was able to get him off of his feet he seemed to go right to eating. I really am afraid that I damaged his leg pretty dang bad. Lesson learned. But good thing is i dont have to band anymore anyways cause these are the only birds that I am going to have from here on out so that will be really nice.

Now that you read my whole story I am assuming that eating is a great thing, it is for our cattle and what not, I just hope that he drinks. What is this powder that we are talking about and what are the reviews on the epson salt soak? At this point I am really game for anything that will help my little friend heal. Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions so far. It is really helping me out. Learning a ton and grateful for all your help. Dustin

10. Frithest

Frithest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Seattle
    Dustin - you're doing all you can, it sounds like.
    I have a sulphur powder that I use on skin wounds - it's antibacterial. It sounds to me like isolation, keeping him warm, fed and watered are the best things. I might cover the wound if it's raw enough to be irritated by the bedding, and as a precaution against more infection. Epsom salts in warm water is great and gentle for cleaning out wounds - just soak the leg in it and wash it gently with a cotton ball.
    I'm a total newbie to chickens but I've heard they can heal from pretty terrible injuries.
    I've seen pictures of chicken slings - a box with mesh or fabric over the top, and holes for the chicken's legs to go through so they're suspended off the ground. The weight of the bird is off the legs, and kept warm with food and water nearby they can heal from broken legs etc. Not sure if you need to go this far or not.
    If you have canned tuna or cat food that might be a good protein rich treat to help him heal more quickly. If he's not drinking, can you force him to drink somehow? Maybe mix some feed in with warm water or milk and get some fluids in him that way? Diluted gatorade or something with electrolytes?

That's all I've got. I'm always impressed by how much people care for their animals. Take care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by