Best rooster leg cut. Owners fault pictures added

Hi Dustin - It sounds like he's on the mend - just watch for flys. You don't want flys laying eggs in the wound and hatching maggots.

I know you have gotten a lot of advice, but I would clean the wound and cover it for a couple of days. Vet wrap is good. I would just cover it for a couple of days and give it a chance to start healing and then uncover it to heal the rest of the way. That way he isn't constantly scraping the raw wound on his bedding, cage, etc., plus it's safe from flys/maggots.

Ill get some pictures up later I havent checked on him today because of work but i am going out soon. I am in hope that everything is fine. Right now in Idaho it is pretty cold we are talking 40's for teh highs so I dont have to worry about flies or maggotes that much. thanks again to everyone for the advice. I will keep you all informed.

here are some pictures of the wound. The bird seems to be doing better. I have doctored the wound with iodine 3 times now I left the neo off of it today though. By the time most of you see this it will be a new day by then it will be doctored 4 times. I also got some antibiotic to put in his water that I thought would be a good idea being he could have an infection. other then that I bought some tuna fish because someone suggested it would be good protien so well, the bird got some tuna. I hope I am doing the right thing.

These pictures are of the bird as of 2 days ago. I didnt take the camera out today.
008.jpg

010.jpg

this picture makes it look a bit worse then it is I think, but you can see the swelling in this one.
009.jpg

side shot of the injury. I think it looks bad but he put a little weight on it today by his self. I really hope he starts to feel better.

Dustin, I would definitely cover that. It looks extremely painful. I was told a couple of years ago that "wet" wounds heal faster and better than ones allowed to scab up and dry out.
Good luck, and thanks for the photos.

Back
Top Bottom