Best Rooster Protection

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DKrueger4, Mar 2, 2013.

1. DKrueger4

DKrueger4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2012
    Michigan
    Hi,
    I will be moving to a two acre home and want breeds that protect flocks very well. Open to any suggestions. Thank you.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Roosters may try to warn their flock and attempt to fight off a predator, but they still are not really any match for most predators. If the chicken breeds you chose are big and fluffy enough maybe a hawk would be less likely to pick them out for prey. If they are free ranging it is a good idea to have places nearby where they can run for cover. But if you want your flock to spend a lot of time free ranging, then a rooster may not cut down much on the risk from predators.

1 person likes this.
  3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    X 2...

Great response scratch'n'peck

4. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I was shocked when the neighbors dog was going after my birds to find him out of the run. He jumped out to attack the dog!!! And he LIVED! He risked his life for his flock, and I was glad he didn't get munched he's a great rooster! He's a hamburg/Brahma cross.
    [​IMG]

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If your getting birds from a hatchery, look into an English Game rooster and not the bantam variety. Only one and he will not be fit for role until he is nearly a year old. He may not be as large as some breeds but he has speed and proper mindset needed. With respect to predator protection, it is with hawks only that roosters help repell and rooster needs cover for that to work.

6. DKrueger4

DKrueger4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2012
    Michigan
    Thanks for all your replies. I have heard that RIR roosters have been known to kill small-medium size dogs. I have five roosters now. I'm not as concerned about hawks as I am raccoons, weasel etc. I have 2 dogs that may be able to be near my poultry. I also have ducks who can fly.

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I honestly do not know of any RIR, or any rooster, that would be able to take down and kill small to medium sized dogs. I have a big RIR who is an excellent guardian, he is no match for any dog. I think somebody was telling you a big fish story that time. Roosters can be very helpful in warning of danger and giving hens time to escape or hide, they often loose their own lives in the process. They are most certainly no match for racoons and likely not a weasel either. Weasel likes to come in at night and kill birds off the roost in the dark.

8. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If your dogs are good around the poultry, then that is the best predator deterrent mentioned so far. Dogs trained to behave around chickens and a secure coop for the night are good ways to protect your poultry from predators. Every breed of rooster I have are pretty good at sounding warnings for the flock, and that certainly does not hurt.

1 person likes this.
  9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    X2! [​IMG]

10. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I agree. Roosters are a good warning system. My rooster did fight/run and protected his flock from a 4 month old pup, probably was more of playing with the chickens which we all know how that turns out. The rooster had submitted to the dog begining to bite into his back when I caught up with them. But he would not be a match for a any dog with intent to kill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by