Best rooster to wake up to?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pastorj, Feb 18, 2014.

1. pastorj

pastorj Just Hatched

Feb 18, 2014
    I am wanting to keep one rooster... Probably free range. And wake up around 6 o'clock. Can a rooster do okay by himself? What is a good rooster that crows first thing in the morning nice and loud and unique?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Roosters like to crow at 4am, 5am, 6am and off and on throughout the day. Mine are usually pretty quiet between 7pm and 3. [​IMG]

I have found that the bantam roosters I have had have poor crows.

I specifically tried to research which breeds tend to have the best crows..... and it turns out I couldn't figure that out.

I think that it is way too variable from one individual to another. However, most bantams have bad crows.

So, if the crow is important to you, buy one fully grown that you can listen to, or grow a bunch out and keep the one you like the best.

1 person likes this.
  3. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    I can't speak to what breeds have more pleasant crows, but you can't keep a rooster by himself.

Chickens are flock animals and don't like to be alone.

4. PugetCountry

PugetCountry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Olympia, WA
    I had a blue laced red wyandotte rooster who was absolutely gorgeous and such a great roo...but his crow was too loud and crazy for me. I know my neighbors would have complained and it was waking me up and not in a pleasant way. We rehomed him.

We have a porcelain D'uccle roo and I really love his crow. He is a bantam but I think his crow is the textbook morning on a farm crow. He has it down perfect and it's not too loud. I gently wake up to his crow as opposed to the BLR, which shocked me out of bed.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Best rooster to wake up to? A quiet one. I prefer to awaken to sunshine on my face and bird song trilling low and sweet outside in the distance.... [​IMG]

6. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    My Lavender Orpington sleeps in until about 6 and I don't hear him until I load my son up for school. Then he is crowing at me to come bring him treats. I usually only hear him then or when he thinks I'm messing with his girls. My last roo was a buff orpington and he was fairly quiet too.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by