BEST ROOSTER??

brooster

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
northwest Ohio
What is the best tempermented rooster? Not one that you had that was nice, but ones thay you have always had thet have always been nice. Dont jump on you. Wont chase anyone unless they are harming them. Wont mind other roosters, especially bantys. What do ya think? BTW i already had a Buff Orpington Roo and just got rid of him.

Bump
smile.png

I only have one and he's my first so I know this isn't the advice you are ultimately seeking, but.....my Silkie Serama Bantam is 2 1/2 yr. old and he is actually sweeter than my 3 girls! He isn't even overly aggressive towards the 2 girls he doesn't claim, so to speak. He does protect his mate, but he doesn't harm her aggressors. Maybe someone else has more experience with Serama Bantam roosters and could shed some more light.

The only thing is, i want a big standard. How are the barred rocks, i hear they are very nice, what do you think? Come on everybody, i need suggestions!

I have a Brahama roo that is very nice. He doesn't fight with the other roos in the pen (6-7 of his sons from last year). He will sometimes knock one off a hen but I have never seen him fight with another roo. And he doesn't mess with me when I go into the pen. However one that nice dosen't seem to me to be a very good protector. Hawks have gotten some of his girlfriends so he must not be a good protector.

I have always heard good things about barred rocks, and just in case you MIGHT want to hear a banty, I'm absolutely in LOVE with the mille fleur d'uccle's temperment! He is sooooooo sweet!
love.gif

Standard Buff Orpington.

Sweet tempered, quite large, good with his girls.

I love mine, I also RESPECT mine. He was hand raised and "cuddled" from day 1. This is the key, IMHO, to raising roos. Then its 50/50. Either he will be a nice guy, or he won't.

Its genes, handling, and luck of the draw.

In any case, I recommend the BO. They are by nature a more docile breed. Oh, and gorgeous too. With a real deep old fashioned "barnyard" crow.

Just my humble 2 cents.
roll.png

Ma

where is speckled hen? She has a barred rock roo. Even though my buff orp roos are small they are sweet and friendly. I ahve to see how they are when they are older though

Back
Top Bottom