Best Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by V Comb, Jun 20, 2010.

1. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Which type of rooster is more friendly and good with kids out of one of these two?

Houdan
    Know nothing about Houdan roosters, just know that the hens are very friendly and good egg layers, so what about the roos?

d'Uccle
    I have had an experience with a d'Uccle rooster and he was so sweet! But he had an eye infection so maybe he wasnt going anywhere because of it.

So which one is more friendly and social and good with kids?

2. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I know nothing about Houdans, but I do LOVE my d'Uccle roo. I think he is gorgeous and if I could take him with me everywhere, I probably would. He comes with me into the garden, and I carry him on walks around the property, and sometimes he comes into the house and takes a nap with me. I absolutely love the little guy. Wish I had a pullet so we could have little d'Uccle chicks. I LOVE them!!!

3. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    He takes a nap with you!!! That is SO flippin CUTE!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

4. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    houdan roos can be sweet or mean, depends on the bird.
    d'uccle roos are almost always nice and gentle, though my friend had a rather mean one.

5. sriston

sriston Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Tamms, IL
    What is a D'uccle? I have never heard of them.

Susan

6. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I would vote Houdan just because they are kinda rare. I have a mottled houdan hen and she is awesome. She layed an egg in my daughters lap! Wish I could find a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by