Best Roosting Bar for Chicken Feet

You're in a pretty `cold' winter zone. 2x4's and a paint scraper should keep the chook's feet warm and clean.

I know most on here believe that the chicken should have a flat surface so they cover their feet in cold weather. I know that they need to curl their toes to feel comfortable, so they tend to use the front of the perch. When they are sleeping they squat down and cover their feet quite well, even with a narrower perch. In my opinion full 2x2s will work. Plus there is less to scrape.

We use natural branches pruned from our property. Usually oak. We live in MA, and get pretty cold winters. I chose branches with a 3-6 inch diameter...which will allow them to lay on their feet in the winter. We had a 2x4 in the coop in addition to the natural roosts, and they never used it...given the choice always picked the natural branch.

2x4 always. my girls love the stability and we carpet it so there feet stay toasty warm in the winter months. they stand on the 4 inch side. hunker down in the winter on them and sleep very well. no perches, there not small birds there big girls and need comfort ( my opinion.

2x4 always. my girls love the stability and we carpet it so there feet stay toasty warm in the winter months. they stand on the 4 inch side. hunker down in the winter on them and sleep very well. no perches, there not small birds there big girls and need comfort ( my opinion.

Does the carpet not get pretty poop-covered? Maybe it doesn't matter. I am concerned about the winter. We get some nasty cold weather.

Thanks for taking the time, everyone, and even posting pics. My girls and guy have the 2X4's now. I'm now thinking about hunting for some good branches as well. And then we'll see what the
flock decides upon.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom