Best SAFE fencing for Emu?

awesomefowl

Argues with Goats
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
raxacoricofallapatorious
What is the best fencing situation for a pet emu? I really would like one but would need a good fence as I don't my hypothetical emu kicking my little sister or anybody. Is 5-6 ft high chain link best, or is there something less expensive which works for a pen. Thank you for answering my questions!!!!

The best would be 5-6 ft chain link, or horse fencing. You can use cattle fencing also. 5-6 ft is ideal height. Horse Corral panels work well also, but my one emu knows how to creep under them. 2 of my emu could be kept in 4ft fence, as they are not prone to jumping, 2 of my others are jumpers. When they are little it is best to put them in a fence they can not push over or jump, as they will learn they can do it thus keeping that behavior when adults.

an emus feathers offer too much insulation for an electric fence and barbed wie is just a good way to kill one. my emus dont even test a fence (which i guess is rare) i have a push in the dirt 3 foot fence most of the way around them in their breeding area and a 4 foot chain link in their regular area. they dont wander far from the feed bucket.
my old place just regular 4 foot 4x2 wire held them fine the one time they did get out was because the goats pushed open the gate.

Back
Top Bottom