Best show breeds??

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by Ryan Moorefield, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Ryan Moorefield

Ryan Moorefield Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2011
    Argos, Indiana
    I am starting to breed chickens and show them. What would be the best breeds to have and what should the look like?

2. shelbydog

shelbydog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    Bristow, ok

That's a loaded question. What breeds do YOU like?

3. Ryan Moorefield

Dec 1, 2011
    Argos, Indiana
    Most of them. There are a few that I don't like. I am just asking for other peoples preferences.

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    A few good breeds to start with are Cochin Bantams, Silkie Bantams and Ole English Game Bantams. Head a good poultry auction and you'll find some great birds that will help get your name out there.

5. Cochin bantams and OEGBs are def by favs... Modern / American games. D'uccles.
    Personally, I'd stick with a common-ish breed, stick to simple colors (ie avoid project colors) and choose a bantie... Easier to work with in general. Course if you like standard, go standard. Avoid project breeds, project colors and when you decide on a breed you really like, read up the most you can and try to get some show quality ones. Then breed breed breed ! :)

6. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    You can start with Silkie bantams or a Barred Rock/Barred Rock bantam. Both are good breeds for beginners. You should easily be able to find them in auctions or for sale in poultry shows.

7. Ryan Moorefield

Dec 1, 2011
    Argos, Indiana
    Thanks for all the input. It is greatly appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by