Best silkies?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by redrooster99, Oct 4, 2019.

1. redrooster99

redrooster99 Songster

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    What hatchery has the best looking silkies? And anybody got pictures?

SoftSilkie likes this.
  2. SoftSilkie

SoftSilkie Crowing

Sep 4, 2019
    Idaho
    I don't know, but he carrful. Most of my silkies from Cackle Hatchery were fine, except one, who had one black/blue feather in her buffs.

3. redrooster99

redrooster99 Songster

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    Did they have pretty nice crest and feathered feet?

4. SoftSilkie

SoftSilkie Crowing

Sep 4, 2019
    Idaho
    Of my buffs, one wasn't very good, one was amazing, one was okay but had a black/blue feather, and the other three were okay. I think I could have found a better place.
    One of my six blues (The only girl) was lighter colored and fluffy, and the other five (all roos), we're dark colored (almost black), and were okay in fluffieness.
    The buff silkie in my profile pic is the really good quality buff, and the others is my best blue silkie roo.

5. SoftSilkie

SoftSilkie Crowing

Sep 4, 2019
    Idaho
    Though on the Cackle website there was a picture of a boy at a fair with a blue or black silkie who had one 1st place in quality.

6. The Egg-Master N1

The Egg-Master N1 In the Brooder

Oct 2, 2019
    Central Texas
    In my personal experience, McMurray has the hands down best Silkie chicks. Granted, i am not showing them or trying to build up a pure stock. All of the birds i got from them were well feathered and had nice beards and good crests. Here are a few pics.

Attached Files:

7. MROO

MROO Crossing the Road

Don't get them from Meyer. The one survivor we ended up with (out of three) is WAY too big, has a lot of red in his HUGE walnut comb, an almost non-existent beard, wiry feathers, a half crest and white skin.
    If you really want Silkies, go to a local show and find someone with birds or hatching eggs to sell. Barring that, contact your local 4H chapter and find a youngster with show birds. Right now is actually a good time for that, because school has geared up and they need to thin out their flocks for the Winter. Not only does it help them keep their feed bills down, but it makes room for next Spring's hatches.
    Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: