Best SITTING large-fowl?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LTygress, Nov 3, 2013.

1. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    What are some really good large fowl breeds that are known for sitting? My poor bantam hens can only take so many large-fowl eggs under their little bottoms before they run out of space to keep them all warm. But I also need a large fowl that can stand up to other large-fowl hens who want to chase each other out of the nest. The bantams are easily getting beat up, and I just had to move one inside with one chick missing a good patch of skin, and another with internal injuries who may not make it. A larger hen wouldn't be quite so intimidated by hens her own size. I know every chicken is different, but I'm hoping this helps, at least.

So what breed should I get? I have an existing order in with McMurray Hatchery. And I can probably add a few to that order (they're not arriving until next Spring). I just wonder which ones I should get.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    How about Cochins? They tend to be really really broody and McMurray carries them in various colors.

3. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Funny - I was on their website browsing all of their large fowl chicks available in 2014 while waiting for a reply here. And I was JUST looking at those!

I love the silver-laced ones they offer! I might get those, even though they come straight-run only. I can probably find a good market for them down here if I end up with a roo. Those and the blue are catching my eye right now. The blue comes sexed, and as long as I get one hen that is ACTUALLY blue, I'll be happy with it.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I've gotten both their silver laced and blues in assortments. The silvers actually had very pretty lacing, nice crisp lines. They do seem to try and give you half blues if you order blues, so if you order like 5 you should get at least one blue female (have ordered other breeds in blue).

5. theadvocate19

theadvocate19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Brooksville, Florida

This is my silver laced cochin brooding on one egg. Photo was taken earlier today. Although she is a bantam, I hear that doesn't matter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Triplecross

Triplecross Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    [​IMG]

I don't have much experience, but my Easter Egger hen has been the most devoted and sweet broody. She is only 7 months old, but is large enough to set on a big clutch of eggs easily.

7. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I use game hens and some RIR/EE/Game mixes as incubators/brooders. They're not extremely large or heavy hens, so if I form a deep nest tthey can sit a 16 egg clutch without breakage. They raise the chicks for 8-10 weeks then drive them away and start laying eggs again the next day and then in a month go broody again. All of mine have hatch & raised 2 clutches this season. They are very protective of their nest & chicks and will attack my dog, cats, and any other chicken that gets within 10 feet of them. The downside is I have to put them in seperate pens when they have chicks due to their aggression.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by