1. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    Hello everyone. I was planning on ordering six bantams from a hatchery and I was wondering how much coop space they would need when they're full-grown. I was planning on getting a coop with a run, and I was going to let them free range sometimes, when I have some spare time to watch them. I was looking at a coop that is about 6 or 7 feet long and 2 feet wide. Would this be enough room for them? Should I go smaller? Bigger? I have no idea! Any help would be appreciated.[​IMG]

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    I'm not sure of exactly what size you need. But you should get it bigger so you have room to expand later down the road if you want to add more. Also it depends where you live like would they just sleep in it at night or like mine do when it snows or is cold and windy they choose to stay in.

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    The bigger the better. For 6 bantams a 4x8 coop would be Plenty of room for them! It is easier to build in 4 foot increments for the use of the material with less to no waste. I have 4x8 coops with a 8x10 run with 8 birds in each (7 hens and 1 rooster). This gives them a good amount of space to run around in.

Nate

4. shadow rabbit10

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks so much. I am hoping to order a coop by the end of the month and receive my chicks in April. Again, thanks for the info![​IMG]

5. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Building a coop is very easy and MUCH Cheaper! All you really need is a hammer and nails, saw, pencil and a Tape Measure. My 4x8 coops cost about $75-$100 each. They are very simple to build and pretty light also!

Nate

6. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    Building is really alot cheaper. If you don't think you can maybe look into hiring a local construction worker. They'd probably appreciate some quick money and would still probably be cheaper then ordering one.

7. shadow rabbit10

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    We were going to build one, but my father never gets around to things, an he isn't the best handyman. I don't know any construction works in our area who would build us a coop. We are going to a Tractor Supply store today so we'll see what coops they have there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by