Best size flat-rate box for shipping 1 dozen hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sunny Side Up, May 29, 2010.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I'm posting this here because I figure there are a lot of folks in this section with experience receiving and/or shipping hatching eggs. I want to mail 2 dozen duck eggs from Florida to Tennessee. I like to line the mailing box with pieces of styrofoam egg cartons for shock absorption, and put the bubble-wrapped eggs inside. I use at least 2 layers of bubble wrap and place them side-by-side within the styrofoam walls in the box. Any leftover space is filled with paper shreds or plastic bags.

Does that sound like a good plan, or would it be better to leave out the carton sections, place the wrapped eggs farther apart (not touching) and fill the spaces with more shreds?

And is it better to squeeze a dozen eggs in a medium-sized flat-rate box or use a large and pay the extra postage? (By the way, what is the flat-rate price for the large box?)

Thank you for your imput on this matter!

2. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    I ship mine in a medium box with the carton set diagonally. I don't have broken eggs in shipment with my method of packing the eggs in shavings, in both the carton and the box.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Napalongtail, do you also wrap the eggs in bubble wrap or just put them in a shavings-filled carton?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: