Best size for hardware cloth around chicken run

ellejay

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2018
I am building a new chicken run (moving to a new location) and want to have smaller hardware cloth on the new location of 1/4" size to prevent mice. The only gauge I am finding online for that size is 23 which feels flimsy and can easily be opened by a raccoon. Should I go up to 1/2" so I can get a heavier gauge and hope mice do not get in? Thanks for any advice!

I am building a new chicken run (moving to a new location) and want to have smaller hardware cloth on the new location of 1/4" size to prevent mice. The only gauge I am finding online for that size is 23 which feels flimsy and can easily be opened by a raccoon. Should I go up to 1/2" so I can get a heavier gauge and hope mice do not get in? Thanks for any advice!
:old :welcome :old

1/2

are mice a problem now or is this a preventative thing? 1/2" is pretty much the only option I know of that comes in the heavier gauge. mice are not typically the issue with chickens, as they will kill and have been known in some cases to even eat a mouse. rats are the thing to worry about with chickens, IMHO. rats are closer to monkey in intelligence than mice, or os it seems, they are persistent, amazingly destructive and reproduce with abandon. 1/2" HWC is small enough to keep them out and strong enough to keep out the vast majority of anything else.
welcome to BYC!

Back
Top Bottom