Best size of treats for chicks?

YgritteChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
Wisconsin
For chicks that are between 2-3 months old, how big should the pieces of treats be that you give them? I'm thinking along the lines of mostly things from the garden...green beans, spinach, sweet peas, zuchinni, pears...etc

For chicks that are between 2-3 months old, how big should the pieces of treats be that you give them?  I'm thinking along the lines of mostly things from the garden...green beans, spinach, sweet peas, zuchinni, pears...etc

Whole fruit is safest. That way they can only bite off as much as they can chew. Minimises the risk of choking. With pears and apples I drop them on the ground and stomp on them. Try boiling an egg and pushing through the aviary wire. Perfect no fuss treat. :)

Watermelon works well, mealworms are a major hit as is grapes you have bitten in half. Also I long ago noticed that the birds often prefer to take the treat from your hand, than from the ground, something about the 'taking' of food brings out the 'spunk' in a bird. Finding it on the ground, not so much.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Back
Top Bottom