Best sized coop for a trio of L/F!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Aaronblackman, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Aaronblackman

Aaronblackman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Hey guys, I have a rather large run at the back of my garden, which i keep my hybrid birds in, I am now hatching some pure breed birds which i plan to breed from and sell, what is the smallest coop and house i could get to house a trio of large birds, and i mean minimal size, i would let them out to roam free for a little while after work and pen them back at night, so in the day they had the run and house to be free in.

Any pics, advice or dimensions would be great (Y) [​IMG]

Aaron

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Are you in an area that gets winters (snow and cold)? That does make a difference when recommending minimums...

Not knowing that, I would say a 3x4 w/external nest boxes would be the smallest I would go... Or a 4x4 with one inside nest box. For a run, I would do at least a 5 x 6 or a 4 x 8.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  3. Aaronblackman

Aaronblackman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    No we dont get very harsh winters, im in England, mild winters and not much better summers :p

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Here is a pic of my pvc hoop run. It is 10x10 which would give you 100sq. feet of run plenty for a trio. You could attach it to a 4x8 coop and your would have plenty of space even to make a separate area for a broody. Are you planning on letting the moms incubate or are you going to put fertile eggs in incubator only? You could also make the run 8x8 to give you 64sq feet. The recommended area for a run is 10sq feet per bird for large breeds and 4sq feet per bird in the coop. Since you are breeding them I would give them more than the recommended space. The more room they have the healthier and happier they will be=better breeders!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by