best small breed ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cmwhite23, Jul 21, 2011.

1. cmwhite23

cmwhite23 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Im looking to get a pair of ducks but I don't know much about the different breeds. I live in Pennsylvania so we have pretty hot summers and cold snowy winters. I want them to be small. I could use your different opinions on the best ones!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Mallards and Call ducks are good choices.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Totally agree. I have both and love both breeds.
    Mallards MAY do better in your colder winters up there, though.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My runners do well here in southern New England. I do baby them, though. When it gets below freezing they come into the basement pen, and today since it's near 100F, they're in the basement pen again. I have nine - so it's not a big deal to have them in the basement. I use a couple of puppy pens to give them about 60 sf of room, have a big plastic watering station so water's not an issue, and I just put straw down for their comfort and hygiene [​IMG]

They weigh about 4 pounds each. They're fun, sweet and sassy. They are very cooperative, and very healthy.

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have 2 runners and it is hot and humid down here. They do just fine with it. They sit in the shade and chill when they need to or hop in the pool to cool down when they need to.
    It got cold down here this winter, but no snow, but lots of nights in the 20s, so not nearly the cold I'm used to, and I have no cold weather experience in the north with ducks.

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    aside from muscovies, ALL domestic ducks are mallard derived, so all can be treated just like a mallard.
    They will take the cold better than the heat, however I live on the GA/FL line and have never had a heat issue with any of the countless ducks I have kept over the years.
    As for winters, well that's duck season, they love the cold.

small breeds would be any of the 20 or so colors of call ducks
    east indies
    silkies
    mini appleyards
    all non bantam ducks get 4-10 pounds on you
    personally, I 'm a bantam sized lover too.

7. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I have two silkies and I absolutely love them! they are the only bantam that doesn't fly (that I know of)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by