Best small egg incubator

Denise661

Songster
7 Years
Jun 21, 2012
CA, 93250
I want to buy one for my kids but one that's not expensive at all and mainly fo it to do everything, put eggs abd wait till they hatch!!!
Something that could hold under 15 eggs.
Please help!

The incubator I have is relatively small (can hold up to 24 eggs) but is definitely not inexpensive- it's a Brinsea. I really think you get what you pay for, though. I've tried using still air incubators and even installing a fan in an older Little Giant incubator but have had NO LUCK with getting them to hold a consistent temperature, much less hatch anything. Maybe you can find a used model somewhere or just borrow someone's nice incubator when you want to hatch something. If you could find someone to go in with you on the cost, get the Brinsea 20 Eco w/ the autoturner. You won't have to manually turn eggs (thereby destroying the humidity in the incubator) and it comes factory calibrated at 99.5. It's easy to adjust, too, if the setting gets out of whack during storage in the off-season. Try looking on the incubator-related threads here to get an idea of what other options there are out there.

I actually just bought one, it is called the Brinsea Mini Eco. It is a little more on the expensive side, but you can rest assured you will get chicks. It cost me 80 or 90 $ and holds 10 eggs.4 out of the 5 eggs I put in it hatched, and The 5th one was infertile ( I took it out early into incubation). It holds temprature really great, i need to tweak it once a week or so, but you could probly get away without. You need a small screwdriver to change the temp, but other than that it comes with everything you need.

Oh no, no! I tried Barred Rock eggs from my own flock in it back in 2009 with no luck whatsoever. It comes with a lightbulb, piece of screen, and advises you to put foil inside to reflect the light around to heat it up. I couldn't get the temperature above 95 degrees and that was after I covered the entire surface with Reynold's wrap. You're better off just saving your $18 for shipping on something decent.

I have a Brinsea Mini Advanced and love it.......Set it and forget it if that is what you want to do..(Until lockdown)...Super stable temps and humidity and now has a new "cooldown" feature.(simulates time that hen would get off eggs to eat and go potty). I also like the full visual feature of the plexiglass dome for viewing. I think I paid $149 online with free shipping. It holds 7 full-size eggs and has an optional disc for 12 quail or little eggs. I have had great luck with Serama and Cochin eggs in it. Just think about what alot of people say "you get what you pay for" and I feel I got a great incubator for a good price.

Seramas hatching compared to a "AAA" battery.....

Oh my!!!!!!
How beautiful :) I guess this is a good brand.
What is lockdown? I have NEVERused an incubator.
I have no idea what to do! :(

Oh my!!!!!!
How beautiful
smile.png
I guess this is a good brand.
What is lockdown? I have NEVERused an incubator.
I have no idea what to do!
sad.png

Quote: Go to the Learning Center at the top of the page and read about hatching eggs and it will explain almost everything. Almost any incubator you purchase will come with really good instructions. Another thing you can do is just go to all of the Incubator manuf. websites and look at and/or download the manuals for the different incubators to learn about the process. Like most things in this world you can make it as easy or difficult as you want. People hatch eggs in everything from cardboard boxes with heat pads to full size cabinet incubators that hold 1000 eggs and are computer controlled. You can also check out the homemade incubator section and maybe build your own from a cooler or ?????. Best of luck and welcome to the addiction...

Go to the Learning Center at the top of the page and read about hatching eggs and it will explain almost everything. Almost any incubator you purchase will come with really good instructions. Another thing you can do is just go to all of the Incubator manuf. websites and look at and/or download the manuals for the different incubators to learn about the process. Like most things in this world you can make it as easy or difficult as you want. People hatch eggs in everything from cardboard boxes with heat pads to full size cabinet incubators that hold 1000 eggs and are computer controlled. You can also check out the homemade incubator section and maybe build your own from a cooler or ?????. Best of luck and welcome to the addiction...
My homemade incubator that holds 126 eggs. Just to give you and idea....

Back
Top Bottom