Best small incubator?

Andaloosa

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Lago Vista
First let me apologize if this has already been asked, but I sure couldn't find it with the search. I admit I stink at using the 'right' search terms.

Anyway...

I am considering getting an incubator in order to hatch out some of my own eggs. Hens to keep, roosters to eat.
D.gif
Maybe the possibility of selling chicks, but not totally sure on that.

Since I'll be completely new at incubating eggs, is there a recommended incubator for beginners? I only get 4 eggs a day right now and I don't know how many days I can add eggs to the incubator. When we had a hen that would set, I'd put eggs under her for 2 or 3 days and most if not all would hatch.
jumpy.gif

I think I'd like one that could hold more than 3, but don't need a huge cabinet one either.

Thanks for the suggestions (and any pointers!)
Robin

I use a Little Giant with the fan and egg turner. I recommend that one for beginers and its pretty easy to use. the draw back is that the nob to turn the temp. is very sensitive.
hmm.png

GQF Manufacturing makes the HovaBator styro incubators. https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/front.asp Many of us have had good results with these. They will hold up to 42 chicken eggs if you get the turner; more if you don't, but you'd have to hand-turn the eggs. A fan is also recommended. Figure out what options you want with it, and check EBay as well. I got my HovaBator with fan and turner for way less than the MSRP.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
I definitely want a turner. I already have my daughters, a 3 1/2 year old
wee.gif
and a 19 month old
wee.gif
I need to keep track of.

What other features are a plus to have?

Thanks!
Robin

Brinsea Mini Advance incubator, holds 7 eggs. Fool proof. Excellent product, excellent customer service. I have had MANY successful hatches with mine, and I have three of those Mini Advance units. (I also have three Octagon20 Advance units, and they hold between 20 and 24 eggs apiece.)

The Mini has an auto turner, and the Octagon sits in a turner cradle. The Advance units have humidity pumps to regulate humidity.

Not cheap, but well worth the money.

I started with the Mini because I couldn't imagine hatching more than 7, and only expected a couple to hatch. That's happened, but I've also had 6 of 7 hatch at least 3 times, and by then I was so hooked on incubating I had to buy the larger units.

Back
Top Bottom