1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best stealth chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gsim, Dec 27, 2010.

1. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Have been wanting to post this for awhile now. I have a flock of, presently, 21 hens, 4 breeds. They are Rhode Island Red, Barred Plymouth Rock, Golden Comet, and Black Australorpe. I have come to believe that based on the behavior of my Black Aussies, that they would be the best stealth chickens ever. So I am posting this for all of you out there who have a stealth flock or are thinking of starting one. What are the best chickens for a stealth flock? I vote for the Black Aussies since they are so very quiet. Not only that, but they have good egg production all year long including wintertime. [​IMG]

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Black silkies. You can't find them at night, or when they're broody, and when they're ANGRY.........

*runs and hides XD*

3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Do they lay large/jumbo eggs like the Aussies? Are they quiet like the Aussies/

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  4. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    Not a chance [​IMG] Small white eggs, but they can hide in the tiniest of places and sit so still they're practically invisible...XD

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Files away for future reference, just in case....

6. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    magicpigeon; just in case you are being serious...
    "Stealth" in this instance does not refer to "ninja" but rather "illegal" possession of a chicken flock within regulated city limits of our great fascist country, the good ol' USofA.

7. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    LOL you thought so? [​IMG]

8. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    I have Black Aussies as well. The hens are very quiet, but the one rooster is the loudest one I have! I can just imagine... ninja chickens... jumping from roost to roost, to defend the night! lol [​IMG]

9. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Weeelllll... without body language and inflection in one's voice... It's easy to misinterpret and thus greatly increase miscommunication more than we already do face to face....

Sorry...

Though I did have a mental flash of a black ninja silky, moving from shadow to shadow, lol.

10. magicpigeon

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:I get that a lot, LOL. Facial deadpan in RL because I spend so much time online [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by