best still air incubator for lockdown?

micheleomal

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Eastern Idaho
I am a newbie at hatching. I bought a Hovabator Genesis and am on day 2 of incubating shipped eggs. Not all my eggs are arriving on the same day so I will have staggered hatches. I want to purchase a second incubator to use just for lockdown/hatching. I was thinking a still air incubator might work and it sure is less expensive. Can anyone recommend a still air bator? The reviews on them are all over the place...so I look to BYC for help. This site has been a Godsend for me the last 2 yrs.

Last edited:
I don't have any suggestions for you but am hoping someone else chimes in and gives some. I am a newbie and may very well be doing the same thing if my last 2 shipment of eggs arrive before getting another incubator.

Last edited:
I am a newbie at hatching. I bought a Hovabator Genesis and am on day 2 of incubating shipped eggs. Not all my eggs are arriving on the same day so I will have staggered hatches. I want to purchase a second incubator to use just for lockdown/hatching. I was thinking a still air incubator might work and it sure is less expensive. Can anyone recommend a still air bator? The reviews on them are all over the place...so I look to BYC for help. This site has been a Godsend for me the last 2 yrs.

I try to ONLY use still air for hatching. A forced air can work, but it takes time to figure out how to do it and often you have to help chicks that get stuck to the shell from the air hitting them as they zip. I actually prefer to incubate in still air period, the forced air is just trickier with humidity and I have better hatch rates in my still air.

I try to ONLY use still air for hatching. A forced air can work, but it takes time to figure out how to do it and often you have to help chicks that get stuck to the shell from the air hitting them as they zip. I actually prefer to incubate in still air period, the forced air is just trickier with humidity and I have better hatch rates in my still air.

Also--to me the styrobators are pretty much all the same. Ise the one they sell at CAL ranch here in Utah/Idaho. NEVER use the thermometers that come with them, get one you can calibrate and check yourself. I have seen them off as far as 7 degrees and hardly ever hear of anyone say they have one that is spot on. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom