1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best "supplements" for chickens on really cold days?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by imthedude, Dec 31, 2010.

1. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    it's pretty cold here (about 5) with a really stiff north wind of about 20 mph. the birds don't want to come out of the coop, and i can't blame them. i don't want to go outside either. their water and feed are inside the coop. i gave them some BOSS and scratch earlier for a little extra "punch" to keep them warm. do you guys do anything else besides those two to give your birds a better chance at keeping warm?

2. bjash

bjash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Moline, MI
    Scratch is also good to give in cold weather.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Anything with fat. Mine pound fat strips down when cold but seem to avoid it when hot.

Can you make suiet based on peanut butter? Pricey but energy dense. Put a couple raisins in for enticement.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Mine like cornbread. Gramma always said, "make them cornmeal mush" but it freezes too quick. They like the cornbread better, and a real chicken expert that raises fancy chickens told me once to make sure they are fed just before dark, so that their crops are full for the night. I usually feed in the morning, but in this weather, I go down just before dark with scratch, if I can. mk

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  5. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    Mrs. K :

Mine like cornbread. Gramma always said, "make them cornmeal mush" but it freezes too quick. They like the cornbread better, and a real chicken expert that raises fancy chickens told me once to make sure they are fed just before dark, so that their crops are full for the night. I usually feed in the morning, but in this weather, I go down just before dark with scratch, if I can. mk

good to know because i just tossed in a bunch of scratch and BOSS and also broke a block of suet into 4 pieces in hopes that everyone would get a little bit before they head to the roost. nine below tonight will be the coldest these birds have seen. i hope they make it through the night OK.​

6. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    my girls are getting corn muffins tomorrow:D

7. forrestacres

forrestacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Squam Lakes - NH
    I put a flock block in their coop to keep them busy on days when they don't get outside due to cold (which has only been 2 days so far this winter). We just had a 45 degree day here. Snow melted and the grass is back! [​IMG]

8. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    ours get scratch on the colder nights right before bed

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Anything with corn. That helps them produce body heat.

10. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Can I ask what exactly "scratch" is??

I have heard the term used a lot but don't know what it is....Is it expensive?

My chooks have been pretty cold lately and if it doesn't cost too much I might give it a try! I was also thinking about trying to make some flock blocks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by