Best temp for LG?hearing alot of different numbers...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Vamp-A-Billy Princess, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    The instruction "manual" which was actually like a flyer or a homemade pamphlet, said 95. Then i hear 102 and a bunch of other #s on here. I have no fan and no turner.
    When I turn the eggs how do i do it fast enough to not let all the heat out? Same with humidity...is it 40 or 50 at the beginning? I heard both.
    Also how long should my eggs wait to get to room temp?

2. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm on day 9 with my LG still air, and I keep the temp at 101. It fluctuates up to 102 for short periods of time, but sits right at 101 for the most part.
    I candled last night and have 26 eggs out of the original 29. My 2 year old got one, and the other two never developed.
    My humidity hangs right around 44%. I haven't added any water lately, it's been so humid, I haven't had to.

I believe the 99.5 is for a 'bator with a fan. I think 101.5 is the exact number recommended for still airs.

I set half my eggs one day, and put the others in straight from the nestboxes. I never "rested" them. Don't know if it was the right thing to do, but we're doing well at day 9, so [​IMG]

Good luck-
    Em

edited to add: I turn my eggs by hand 4 or 5 times a day, and the temp. only drops a few degrees. I have them set so I can just roll them with out picking them up. Your humidity will drop like a rock when you open the lid, but it comes right back up once you close it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  3. lsuphillier1

lsuphillier1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    From what I've gathered, 102 for still air...though my manual says 100, and my thermometer has 100 in bold signifying the proper temp. However, when I set it at 100, it takes 22-23 days for hatch.

I use the top of a card board egg carton in mine that I have no turner. I tilt them all in the same direction. That way I know that they all have been turned and you can take out a dozen at a time and turn them and the temp inside the incubator remains more constant. This also works good for candling as you can work with a doz. at a time without affect the temp as much.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    LG still air temps...101 to 102 nothing higher...

Humidity 40 to 50 range first 18 days, last 3 days 60 to 70% range...

Its best to take your time turning the eggs and when candling...a hen gets up off the nest for as long as 20 minutes or so...Don't rush thats when accidents happen...

5. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I agree, still air is 101-101.5, circulated is 99.5-100. That is the general rule I have seen here and all over.

i have mine at 101 and my eggs are so far so good. I know perhaps even a bit hotter as i switched to a digital on Thursday and my mercury was off by 2 degrees. I was afraid I was cooking the little guys. [​IMG]

6. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the advice guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by