Best temperature for Coturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by nook addict, Nov 5, 2010.

1. nook addict

nook addict Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    At B&N
    I was thinking of heating my 10x10 quail barn for the winter, but I don't want to set it too high otherwise I'll be burning my money!

Or should I just add more light to kick start laying again, and forget the heat? Will they lay okay? The barn is totally enclosed, just not heated.

Thanks!

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

enough light is the main thing from what i understand 14-16 hrs a day. I've read on here before that folks have them laying at 30 something degrees F. with enough light hrs.
    i don't know where you are located but if you get harsh winters and you lose electricity you don't want the birds to be used to too warm temps cuz if they're unaccustomed that could be a problem.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Coturnix need a warmer ambient temperature above 68 degrees F (20 C) to achieve maximum rate of lay. Coturnix are more sensitive to light and heat changes than chickens.

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks quaillady! i thought it was primarily a light requirement...

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:IT IS PRIMARILY LIGHT

6. beckyschicks

beckyschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    Will they be ok in colder temps though? My girls are still laying everyday and I had ice on the waters last night. [​IMG] They are in a draft free area, but they don't have a heat lamp. Should I give that to them? I don't want them to drop over because of the cold. Basically how hardy are they?

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Cant Speak For The Weather In Wi, I Am In Central Florida, We Have Below Freezing Weather Here And They Do Fine... Shelleyd Is In Central Ky, They Have Brutal Winters There, She Keeps Hers In A Barn, But I Dont Know If She Adds Heat Or Not--- You Might Try Sending Her A Pm. As For Me Dispite Freezing Weather My Girls Kepp Marching Along All Winter--- Keep In Mind The Mine Are Not In Any Enclosed Cages, But Rather Open Wire Cages With At Least 2 Side Of Open Wire, Many In Plain Wire Cages With Only The Tops Covered- They Do Well. No Ill Effects At All.

8. beckyschicks

beckyschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Iron Ridge WI
    Thanks JJ I was hoping you would respond. The pen I have them in is covered right now with feed bags to reduce any draft there might be.( It's wire on three sides, the back is solid wood. Sounds weird, but It's my way of going green) Only one side is open. They are also inside the barn. I think that if it gets below zero I will add a box with heat for them. Thanks!

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Drape The Whole Cage In A Heavy Poly Tarp, When Needed You Can Sneak A Heat Lamp In There And Replace The Drape (obviously In A Manner Which Prevents Contact With The Lamp) And That Should Do Them Just Fine... Place It On A Dusk To Dawn Timer If You Like So Your Just Heating Them During The Coldest Hours If Need Be... I Frequently End Up Doing This With Winter Hatches Once They Get Moved Outside

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I think the light is needed for egg laying but the HEAT is needed for breeding. My males just aren't 'in the mood' when it gets really cold, even though I've got 2 or 3 hens that are still giving up the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by