Best temperature that they can go out for the day?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KikiDeAnime, May 17, 2019.

1. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    I currently have Mouse and her chicks indoors as part of a deal between my mother and I. The deal was that I could get the chicks if I kept them indoors until they were old enough to go out. I know that Mouse would keep them warm but we'll be having rain for another week before getting sunshine again.

What temperature can they be out in?

Asking as Mouse may need to stretch her legs as she won't move as much in the brooder cage that they're in despite having enough room to.

igorsMistress likes this.
  2. kandyg_99

kandyg_99 Songster

Sep 24, 2008
    Colorado
    How Old Are The Babies ?

3. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    Chicks will stay near mom so they can get under her for warmth as needed regardless of temp. I would say as long as they won't blow away in a gale they'll be fine.

ETA a chicks are usually out of the nest within a couple days learning to forage.

kandyg_99 likes this.
  4. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    Day old chicks. Possibly 2-3 days old as I got them yesterday at our local feed store.

5. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    I know but my mother won't let me move them outside until they're old enough. Despite telling her that Mouse would keep them warm, she said that that would be breaking the deal.

6. igorsMistress

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    So what is considered old enough lol.

7. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    Fully feathered.

8. igorsMistress

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    If they go outside they feather out faster :DAt least in my experience they do. Maybe upper 60s to low 70s would be ok. Breezes and shade or lack of it can make a difference too.

Texas Kiki likes this.
  9. tnason

tnason Hatching

Nov 21, 2018
    I've had my chicks outside almost every day it isn't raining since they were 3 days old and our highs are mostly in the 50's at the moment. They've also been in the coop with just a heating pad since they were 3 days old. They are almost 3 weeks now, feathering fast and doing great.

10. Roo5

Roo5 Songster

Feb 17, 2019
    Missouri
    I kept Birds outside with mom, nothing wrong with it,wouldn’t keep mom and cHicks outside below 55 but anything higher then fine, it should always be dry and a nice comfort place should be easy access for her to go to.Fully feathered is way too late,escpecially with a mother.Where are you located?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: