Best Thermometer for Boiling Water?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by gatrapper, May 11, 2016.

1. gatrapper

gatrapper Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2015
    What would be the best thermometer to use to check the temperature of my scalding water?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Any metal thermometer that is designed for that temperature range. Check it's accuracy with boiling water. My digital is 2 degrees low not that that would mean much but they can be off by a lot. No big deal as you know what to add or remember what temp that thermometer works best at plucking. You've got to be 155 F or it's a losing battle. I get the water 155-160 F and dunk, swish, lift and repeat until the largest feathers pull with no effort what so ever.

3. gatrapper

gatrapper Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2015
    Is there a specific brand? I have been reading reviews on Amazon and there isn't one with great reviews.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It doesn't really mater. I have a digital Accurite meat thermometer I'd bought at Wallyworld years ago. Also have a longer analog that came with the turkey fryer and pot combo. I use the Accurite as it's closer to actual temp and shorter and just easy to carry around. I don't even remember the calibration of the analog as it's been so long since I used it. Will need to use it again eventually as the digital is on it's way out. I use it for maple sugaring and it's having a hard time turning on now that its well coated in sticky residue. Lasted me four years now and was only $9. Would have lasted longer if I'd only used it to check meat temp and water. The other will do fine once calibrated again so I know how far off it reads but not as exacting for sugaring. And that doesn't matter anymore as I finally broke down and purchased a syrup hydrometer.

Long story short: I recommend a dirt cheap Accurite digital meat thermometer from Walmart. Calibrate it to boiling water. Looks like they are $10 now.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Digital-Meat-Thermometer-00641W/14913168

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  5. MichaelZ13

MichaelZ13 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2015
    Northern Wisconsin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by