Best thermometer/hygrometer to use when incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fobpatdgurl18, Feb 10, 2012.

1. fobpatdgurl18

fobpatdgurl18 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    North Wilkesboro
    Last year I tried hatching eggs and the 3 different sets I tried to hatch didn't turn out so well. They all had development and two of the batches had eggs fully developed. They just never hatched. I think my problem was temperature and humidity. I think humidity was my main problem. I was just hoping you guys can help me out and suggest the best temp/humidity readers for me so I can try again and have a successful hatch. I got really upset and discouraged last time. Wish me the best of luck! Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

2. melodym78

melodym78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    I can't tell you how many eggs I have gotten to that point only to end up with zero hatched. Until I started using the dry incubation method. I even had a chick hatch in the incubator under dry conditions. I think before I just messed with it too much. Now I don't even concern myself with the humidity until lockdown. Sure makes for a lot less stress when hatching
    eggs.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I don't even worry much about the humidity until day 18. Then, I just fill up the reservoirs.

Temperature.... I found the best thermometer to be:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spot-Check Digital Thermometer $19.99 -

[​IMG]
    A very accurate, easily read instrument specifically designed for incubators with a range of 32° - 40°C (90º to 104ºF). Ten times more accurate than most digital thermometers, it reads to 0.1ºF with an accuracy of ± 0.2ºF. Switchable between ºF and ºC. Battery life is about 6 weeks in continuous use, but very much longer if switched on just as required.
    [/FONT]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by