Best thermometer (One that's RIGHT!)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by georgialee, Mar 14, 2011.

1. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    What is the best thermometer to use for incubation?

I have a digital that I don't trust (cheap one that's also a a hydrometer from walmart) and the ones that came with the incubator (which I also don't trust).

I also have digital human thermometers stuck through the top but it registers higher b/c it's right by the heating element.

What do y'all do?

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

The Spot Check by Brinsea (also called the Egg-Temp by GQF) is very accurate. The last one I got had to have a thin piece of paper put under the battery to help the contact, but it reads each 1/10 of a degree as it happens, so you must get used to it. It will tell you the range that is happening in the bator as the heating element cycles on and off.

It's made specifically for this job, not a household thermometer that isn't required to be more accurate than to within 2 degrees, too wide a range for incubating. You don't leave it on all the time, but you press a button to see the temp. It will show the last reading, then show an "L", then will tell you the current reading. You can buy it at Cutler Supply or even Amazon.com through one of their sellers, but Cutler's is about $21 and with 4 extra batteries, it's only about $25. It comes with a battery when you buy it. The probe is very sensitive and you must be careful not to whack it on anything or it will quit on you, but I love mine.

3. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I use regular mercury thermometers. I get them in the garden section anywhere they sell hardware. Another BYC-er said she gets the aquarium thermometers, again - basic mercury thermometers and rather inexpensive.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:X2 Worth every penny!

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:X2 Worth every penny!

X3
    [​IMG]

6. rebel yell

rebel yell Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I have been useing a EXTECH probe type, its digital to but it is spot on a match.

7. georgialee

georgialee Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for the suggestions!

So here's another question: How do you know the thermometer is right?

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    you have to have one that you now is right, then compare, yes its a pain in the butt,

9. tracecom

tracecom Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    I didn't get much response to this post (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=460659) but it shows you how to get a really accurate thermometer on the cheap. The last page tells how to check your thermometer to see if it's accurate.

Here's a picture of the thermometer telling me that the temp inside my Omaha Steaks incubator is 99.9 degrees. The box to the right is my homemade electronic thermostat.

[​IMG]

If you don't want to make your own, then the Spot Check is the best. I only have two complaints about it: (1) the probe wire is too short, and (2) there's no way to calibrate it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  10. Namble

Namble Songster

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    x4 on the Brinsea Spot Check. I have one and i'll never use any other. Great thermometer, you should get it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: