Best Thermostat

Pancholoco

Songster
Nov 12, 2012
Sin, MX. now CA.
HELP

I have plans to build my own incubator and I'm undecided which thermostat will be better for me I would like to buy a 12volt one or an AC thermostat. Recommendations Please
fl.gif

Thanks

Last edited:

loveourbirds

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
waverly ohio
for a small one, probably your best bet is to get a digital thermostat. for a heating element I would go with a replacement one for a little giant, or hovabator. I do find that the digitals are a lot more accurate, but seem to break down faster.

I personally prefer thermostatic wafer thermostats. you can easily change the switch to match the application. they dont go bad often, and about the only thing that goes bad is the wafers. I keep an extra on hand for that reason. the drawbacks - these thermostats have a slightly larger temperature range. I dont find any problems with my hatches using them.

when your incubating; keep in mind, it will never break down when its convenient. It always happens at midnight on Friday night, try getting parts then. if your using a light bulb for a heater, keep an extra handy too. the fast on/off cycling of an incubator blows light bulbs fast.

I have heard of people using water heater thermostats, I guess they work but I wouldn't recommend them. they have a much higher temperature range.

Last edited:

Pancholoco

Songster
Nov 12, 2012
Sin, MX. now CA.
Thanks. I've tried the DC incukit from IW and I wouldn't recommend don't work well for me and I was thinking on that one from GQF or another one from IW. I don't remember the model right nowbut it's digital and doesn't have heating element just thermostat. And for heat element I have a 40w silicone resistor.

loveourbirds

Songster
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
waverly ohio
im not familiar with someone using a resistor as a heating element. but that wattage is a little high for a hovabator or little giant thermostat.

this might be a little large for you, but have you considered making one out of a forced air electric heater? just wire past the original thermostat, keep it on low wattage, set the fan to run all the time, it will heat a 12 cubic foot box pretty easily. you can buy the heater for $15 new and a wafer thermostat for about $25. counting a little wire and work you should have less than $100 in an incubator that holds a couple hundred eggs. I have found that you always need a bigger incubator LOL.

Pancholoco

Songster
Nov 12, 2012
Sin, MX. now CA.
The resistor comes from an old reused LG and I have a styrofoam box from PETCO (from imported fishes) and it will be a forced air. Ihavr 2 fans but they are for 12v DC and found some AC fans on eBay for 16 bucks they are expensive Do you know where I can find a cheaper one?

Top Bottom