1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Best thing for getting rid of roundworms in chickens & also preventing??

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by oliviaandjosh4, Feb 28, 2015.

1. oliviaandjosh4

oliviaandjosh4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    I have found roundworms in my chickens' poop on 2 different occasions here recently so now I am looking into a de-wormer. I will only use one that allows me to still eat their eggs. I am looking into either Rooster Booster Multi-Wormer or Durvet Strike III Poultry dewormer. Anyone ever used either of these? What do yall use to treat your chickens? Also, I am wanting to prevent them from getting worms again and I am looking into using DE around the coop/run and possibly adding it to feed every now and then. Anyone else use this? I am wanting any suggestions on de-wormers, yall's experiences with DE, and any extra supplements/vitamins/natural organic products yall use with your chickens to keep them healthy. Thanks in advance!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    DE will not prevent nor treat worms, it will empty your wallet or purse though...been there done that long ago. The Rooster Booster Multi-Wormer and Durvet Strike lll are basically the same thing and kill the same types of worms that chickens get ie; large roundworms (what you saw in feces,) cecal, and capillary worms. Since you dont want to discard eggs after worming, then use either one of those two products. Simply follow the directions on the label.
    I prefer to use valbazen, safeguard, pyrantal pamoate...zimectrin gold strictly for tapeworms. These wormers normally have a 14 day withdrawal period after the last dosing.

3. oliviaandjosh4

oliviaandjosh4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    Thanks for your reply. So DE has no benefits?

4. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

Not on worms, I don't think so. I've used it to dust my hen house for lice or mites. I think it is good for that as long as the product stays dry. It might possibly be beneficial in destroying worm eggs in the soil if you have enough of it in your dirt and, like I said, your ground stays dry. DE works by cutting exoskeletons of insects and they basically die by drying out. Doesn't work if it gets moist which is why I don't think it is effective internally for worming.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

6. bwolfe

bwolfe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    how often should you worm your chickens and have you ever heard of using vinegar and onions?

7. SaxaSime

SaxaSime Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2015
    Lancashire UK

Putting Apple Cider vinegar (2tbsp/per4L) will help them to stay healthy amd prevent them from diseases and illnesses. You will probably only need to do that once a month as it is quite effective.

1 person likes this.
  8. bwolfe

Apr 23, 2014
    Ok so apple cider vinegar does help with round worms but what about other worms and does onion help I well I've hear it did but wasn't sure

9. SaxaSime

SaxaSime Just Hatched

Mar 6, 2015
    Lancashire UK

I'm positive it helps fight against most if not all worms. I've never heard anything about onions helping chickens but I will be doing some research about that as it sounds interesting. :/

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  10. bwolfe

Apr 23, 2014
    Ok thanks I will to so if you find something out let me know and if I find something I'll do the same

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by