Best time of year for inubating shipped eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poularde, Sep 14, 2010.

1. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    Hello everyone! It has been two months + since incubating eggs. This is my first year of incubating eggs and I tried four batches this year with shipped eggs. I have had mixed results. I will incubate again.[​IMG] There is so many factors that effect shipped eggs that I hope to find more local eggs. I hope to not have to ship eggs and I can hardly wait to incubate my own. What I am curious about is when most of you like to incubate and order shipped eggs. I had better results with eggs when it was cooler, (April, May.) I am also worried about acclimating the chicks outside. If anyone wants to share their knowledge or experience please share. [​IMG] I hope to improve my hatches as much as possible.[​IMG] Thanks everyone.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It depends.

Fertility tends to drop off in winter, and some eggs may not be for sale due to hens molting. I have had great hatches during late spring with shipped eggs. However, this is also peak hatching time for others, so you could end up paying a higher price from more bidding.

If you have the place to brood the chicks in cool weather, then fall would be perfect from a price standpoint because there are less people hatching then. I have hatched chicks out as late as 10/23 and they did fine over winter. Plus come spring, they were laying!

Of course, I love to hatch, so anytime is fine with me!

3. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    This gives me the perfect excuse to order some more eggs.[​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Why of course! [​IMG] [​IMG] Add to it that you are in WA, so your winters are mild - You're in chick city baby!

5. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    [​IMG]

6. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i believe this is the best time to hatch even though i like spring chicks but getting into the fall they are laying by spring and there for i sell more eggs so its a win win situation i dont sell much during fall or winter and i sell tons during spring and into the summer. im just about to do button quail in about a week or so.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Spring time eggs seem to have better hatch rates, but fall can work too. I actually have some eggs in my bator on day 13 that are coming along nicely. [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I got a broody on Day 13 also. We'll be hatching together!

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I got a broody on Day 13 also. We'll be hatching together!

[​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Better off, you should get some awesome colored hatching eggs right from you own state. . . [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by