best time ti put chick under broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jimmythechicken, May 17, 2011.

1. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    we have a broody who is on day25 we candled her eggs an they dont look good.we have a day old chick we hatched that i want to put under her an take her eggs.when should i is night time best.

2. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I've never done it but I hear that you should do it before the chick is 4 days old and yes, do it at night!!!!

3. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    the chick hatched yesterday i think i will do it tonite then

4. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    This should work cup the chick in your hand so the Hen . Does not see it and lift up the hen and stick it under her I have tryed it before trust me it all most always works [​IMG]

5. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    we put it under last night she seemed very happy to have a baby 2 of here eggs looked about 15-16 days in we put them in the bator with eggs we are hatching next monday

6. naughtyhens

naughtyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    San Francisco
    I'm so happy to hear this worked because I think I'll be trying it. My broody has been sitting on fertile eggs since April 23 and I haven't totally given up on the eggs but feel the need for a contingency plan and I don't want her to starve to death. She sat on fake eggs for a week before I gave her the real ones. I feel bad for her though she seems perfectly content, clucking away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by