Best time to butcher a rooster?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by s4chickie, Aug 10, 2013.

1. s4chickie

s4chickie New Egg

Jul 26, 2013
    Anyone have any idea when is the ideal time to butcher a dual purpose rooster? I have heard a dual purpose is good up to a year. my last count is 20 Roosters. They are all 3 months.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Twenty weeks old is the best time to butcher a dual-purpose rooster. At this age, they will have grown almost to their full size, and will not be too tough yet.

3. s4chickie

s4chickie New Egg

Jul 26, 2013
    Thank you! I hope they dont all crow at once!! What kind of Wyandottes do you have? I have 2 Blue Wyandotte hens and 1 Golden Laced Hen and 2 GL Roosters....The hens seem sweet and the Roosters are mean.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I have one full-sized Columbian Wyandotte, one full-sized Silver-Laced Wyandotte, and five White Wyandotte Bantams. My Columbian Wyandotte (named "Columbie--original name, right!)is sweet, gentle, beautiful, inquisitive, and intelligent, and acts like a dog. My Silver-Laced is a bit standoffish, but still is full of personality (she's named Silver). I have three White Wyandotte bantam females, and they are very pretty and gentle (only one of them is named so far-Cream). I have two White Wyandotte Bantam cocks; one is nice to his hens (he's named Puff), and the other is kind of obnoxious (he's named Stalker, because he is always strutting and stalking around).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by