Best time to cut out supplemental light....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fasschicks, Jan 8, 2014.

1. fasschicks

fasschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    I am trying to figure out when the best time in late winter/early spring is the right time to cut out supplemental light for my chickens. I have heard that if you cut out the lights drastically during the middle of winter, it will cause your girls to go into a molt. I definitely want to avoid that. I figured over the next 2 months, I would start cutting back the light gradually as the days got longer, but don't want to do it through the spring. What I wasn't sure about is if there is a good time that I can remove the light without triggering a molt? Are there a certain amount of daylight hours I should have before I pull the lights?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Fass

2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    When you reach about 14 hours of daylight you can cut it off. Usually the first of April in my experience.

Hope this helps!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is a new one for me. I've never heard that suddenly cutting back on light would cause a molt. If you are going to use supplemental light to keep chickens laying in winter, you need 12 hours of light a day. For many, they have a light come on at 5 AM and go off at 5 PM--easy peasy. In summer, chickens will wake up as early as 5:30 Am and it won't be light until 9 PM. So all that is going to change is that they will have more light in the evenings as spring and summer approaches, and they are outside longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by