Best time to get/raise chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dirtroaddarlin, Jul 12, 2019 at 3:57 PM.

1. dirtroaddarlin

dirtroaddarlin Chirping

Mar 28, 2018
    Hey all. I have 7 hens, 2 are broody. I don’t have any roosters. Where I live, it’s 90* daily, and pretty humid. Would now be a good time to get several chicks, since I have 2 broody hens? I’m new to this and need some advice from more experienced chicken keepers!

2. Fishsticks06

Fishsticks06 Chirping

Jun 1, 2019
    Western North Carolina.
    I don’t think introducing baby chicks to a hen (even if broody) is smart. Especially since the chicks aren’t theirs, they could kill them. I’d you want to raise chicks now, sure. Weather seems decent and they won’t freeze to death.

dirtroaddarlin likes this.
  3. ocap

ocap Crowing

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I put a chick under a broody hen, it was near her 21st day of broodiness, she "thought" it was time to hatch. Put them under her after dark. If your hen has tried to hatch infertile eggs for 21 days she might be fooled into accepting the chicks.

Helloworld likes this.
  4. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    The best time to get chicks is when you have the time to raise them, just in case neither broody accepts them and you end up having to brood the chicks yourself.

dirtroaddarlin and Chris-n-Kate like this.
  5. dirtroaddarlin

dirtroaddarlin Chirping

Mar 28, 2018
    That’s what my plan was. Slip 2 chicks under each hen. I know my black sexlink has been broody for at least a week, if not more. My barred rock has been broody the last several days.

6. dirtroaddarlin

dirtroaddarlin Chirping

Mar 28, 2018
    I think I’ll get some next spring. I have a 4 month old baby so she takes up most of my time right now. What would be a good number to get? The hens I have now were born February 2018, so they’re about a year and a half old. I have 7 hens, and when I get chicks I don’t want my hens to over power them and gang up on them if that makes sense. How many chicks should I get?

7. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Supposedly the "easiest" is to have more chicks than hens, but I don't think that's actually necessary. What's more important is to consider how much space you have available for integration (if you end up having to brood due to lack of good broodies), and also what your egg needs are.

What's your space look like (coop and run, of do you free range) if you need to do integration? You'll need more than the usual minimum recommended space to minimize problems, along with some obtacles, extra feeders, etc.

If you get chicks next spring that should help with egg production, as the older birds will start slowing down the chicks will pick up the slack. So strictly for eggs, if you're happy with how many eggs you're getting now and the hens have been fairly consistent, I'd think maybe 4 chicks would be good to keep up with eggs for the next couple of years.

8. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I got my latest day old chicks last August 16. They started to lay in January. The only problem I had was collecting the eggs before they froze. Collecting every 4 hours wasn't enough where I live. I had some crack. 20190121_094847.jpg . GC

dirtroaddarlin likes this.
  9. dirtroaddarlin

dirtroaddarlin Chirping

Mar 28, 2018
    My coop is 8’x8’. I have 10 nesting boxes. My ladies free range daily all year round from sun up to sun down. They have several waters around the yard: a baby pool in the shade and a tall Rubbermaid container both filled with fresh water. I give them frozen cantaloupe and watermelon rinds because it’s been so hot lately. We have several outbuildings that the chickens have access to for shade. I think I covered everything!

10. dirtroaddarlin

dirtroaddarlin Chirping

Mar 28, 2018
    I had eggs crack too and I was veryyyy pregnant so I didn’t collect daily like I should’ve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: