1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best time to hatch eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickensman97, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Chickensman97

Chickensman97 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Cromwell, CT
    Im new to hatching baby chicks, so does anyone know when the best time to hatch would be? i live in CT and i don't know if it would be to cold out

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants Premium Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I live in WV, so a little warmer here, Zone 6. You will need to keep them inside until they feather out. That varies depending on the breed, but usually 6-8 weeks. Then you can put them outside.

I mention this because that is your guide. Think 6 weeks before its warm enough to put them outside. In your area I would think they could be outside by late April, early May. So count back - 6 weeks for feathering, 3 weeks for hatching. By my calculations you can start hatching in early March.

You can hatch earlier if you're willing to keep them inside longer. I just hatched 5, I've learned that's about all I can handle in the house for any length of time.

3. Chickensman97

Chickensman97 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    Cromwell, CT
    thanks that was very helpful i wouldn't have ever thought of that:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by