Best time to order baby chicks?

TexasChicken12

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
When is the best time to order baby chicks? If you ordered some right about now would you still be able to take them out and let them outside for short amounts of time? I am in Lubbock TX. Any advice is welcome!

I have heard it is best to get chicks in spring. That way by the time winter comes they would be fully feathered. However, I am in New England so I am not sure if winter is as big of a concern for you in Texas...

You will find the best selection of chicks in late winter and spring. Up here in Michigan, winter chicks take way more time under heat lamps than in spring. Ambient temps for shipping are also a factor; too cold and also too hot in summer. On the other hand, if things work out for you in winter, why not? Mary

If you in TX then you should order from Ideal so the chicks spend less time traveling. I just got some chicks from Ideal and they all survived and are healthy. I think its good to order later in the year because I got my other chicks in spring here and they probably won't start laying until next year due to winter.

Most people like to order their chicks in early spring. But if you have a proper brooder set up and everything the chicks need then you can really get them any time of year.

Back
Top Bottom