Best time to sell a rooster is when he starts crowing right?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by floridachickhatcher, Jun 28, 2011.

1. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    I have 5 chicks in the brooder outside and they are 1 month old and i know for a fact 2 of them are BR roosters cause i can see all the white on them and the bright red combs and i can see the bumps on their legs where the spurs will grow and i figure no one will want to buy them until they are at the crowing age

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    If they want a rooster to keep, they'll want them big enough that they can really see what they're going to look like. Otherwise, they need to be big enough for a good meal.

3. fishin-nole

fishin-nole Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    I had no luck trying to sell mine and even offered to help dress them. I put mine in the freezer and will smoke 2 this weekend.

4. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    well i would like to get rid of them early as possible so i dont end up feeding them for a year my mom figures at 6months i can get rid of them

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I sold 14 cockerels for $ 5.00 a piece. I couldn't believe it they were almost 3 months old.

6. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Yeah i told my mom she should have started the chickens off at $5 for the 10 BA and 3 roos we had instead she sold them at $2.50 a piece and only made $32 dollars she wanted to get rid of them so badly that in the end i think she suffered for it cause they were non laying and she didnt want to feed them anymore and the roos she wanted them gone

7. Mama_hen

Mama_hen Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Not sure when to sell roos,,,, I still have my seven and can't even give them away. I can't bring myself to cull them, they're only 35 weeks tomorrow. I am finding out that roos don't sell to well nor giving them isn't working either. Mine start to crow around 430 am, when a storm comes through during the night, they'll crow off and on throughout the night. I hope that you have better luck in giving or selling your roos.[​IMG]

8. floridachickhatcher

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    thats why my mom wanted to get rid of our roos that we had they would crow at 1 or 4am and it was ticking us off [​IMG]

Edit: The only roos im not getting rid of are my BO roos cause i ordered 3 of them from meyer and they are coming here July 12-14 i told my mom when the hens stop laying in the molt shes not getting rid of them ^_^ I want to keep my golden beauty's [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  9. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    I offered mine free on craigslist with a free pullet included. I really needed to find him a home because I can't have him and he was crowing at 4am. I got a call within a few hours from someone who really, really wants him.

10. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    I have yet to sell a roo. Can't find anyone who wants them so my DH ends up taking 'care' of it [​IMG] At least they had a really good life while they were here...free range, extra treats, cool accomidations. And DH makes sure the end is not traumatic (if that's really possible).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by