Best time to sell a Rooster?

Breezy_Living

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 19, 2011
Northern California
I have 2 hen-raised Barred Rock roos -- about 4 months old -- that I need to sell/trade. We already have a big rooster and do not need anymore for our small flock. When would be the best time to sell/trade them? Should I wait a couple more months or would it make any difference?

My goal (ideally) would be to trade for a laying hen or sell for $10-20.

I don't know if there is any one answer to your questions. It depends a lot on where you live, what the market for roosters in your area is, and how important it is for you to know that your roosters have a "forever" home or if they're going to become someone's meal. I live in a rural area and everyone who wants chickens has them. You can hardly give roosters of any age away, let alone trade for a good laying hen or get $10-$20 for them. Again, that's where I live. If you live where chickens are scarce, and your roosters are of a breed that people are looking for, it will be a different story. Extra roosters around here usually end up in the freezer.

You should get rid of him as soon as possible. People are less likely to want an older rooster that may have become agressive, be carrying disease, etc.

You should get rid of him as soon as possible. People are less likely to want an older rooster that may have become agressive, be carrying disease, etc.
On the other hand, if you wait until they're older, if they had aggressive tendencies they'd show up and people could see what they're getting. I may or may not be in the market for a rooster since mine got nabbed by what I think was a coyote a couple of weeks ago. I have two youngsters that I'm waiting to see whether or not they're cockerels (one has a bigger, redder comb, the other has longer tail feathers). If they both turn out to be pullets, I'll be looking for a rooster in the spring. I think I'd like to get an adult just so I know what its personality is like before bringing it home.

On the other hand, if you wait until they're older, if they had aggressive tendencies they'd show up and people could see what they're getting. I may or may not be in the market for a rooster since mine got nabbed by what I think was a coyote a couple of weeks ago. I have two youngsters that I'm waiting to see whether or not they're cockerels (one has a bigger, redder comb, the other has longer tail feathers). If they both turn out to be pullets, I'll be looking for a rooster in the spring. I think I'd like to get an adult just so I know what its personality is like before bringing it home.
Yes, you raise a good point. I'm sure that some people would prefer an older chicken. Its just like getting an older dog; you have a better idea of what their temperament is going to be.

$10-20?

I'm hoping to get maybe $2 each for my Big Red Boys rather than just giving them away. I don't have enough space to raise them to eating age and since they're probably Production Reds (my packing peanuts as ID'd by the chicken experts on the What Breed ...? board), they aren't likely to amount to much meat anyway.

I have 2 hen-raised Barred Rock roos -- about 4 months old -- that I need to sell/trade. We already have a big rooster and do not need anymore for our small flock. When would be the best time to sell/trade them? Should I wait a couple more months or would it make any difference?

My goal (ideally) would be to trade for a laying hen or sell for $10-20.

You should try posting an ad on Craigslist. You might post your asking price. If the roosters don't sell, try lowering the price.

Not many people will trade a laying hen for a rooster, and even fewer want two roosters. But it doesn't hurt to ask if someone wants to trade.

Try selling them now. At about 5 months they might start fighting with each other, and maybe even fighting with the rooster you plan to keep.

If I know that I definitely don't need any roos I tend to advertise as soon as I know they are roos simply because sometimes they go really quick and other times it can take awhile and repeated adds before I can get rid of them

This thread has definitely given me a different perspective on what to expect by trying to sell or trade these roosters. I'm still torn on when to rehome them because they're still very juvenile, but at the same time our broody hen just hatched some chicks so keeping the Roos longer will be even more mouths to feed (for no benefit of our own).

Back
Top Bottom