Best to feed during Molt?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Heelers&Chickens_OhMy, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Heelers&Chickens_OhMy

Heelers&Chickens_OhMy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    What, if any, special diet considerations should I make when my gals are molting?

2. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    From my own experience and from other posts here increase the protein. You can do that several ways. Black oil sunflower seeds are good and I have had good results with feeding game bird feed. Here is has 23%-24% protein. [​IMG] Just remember molting can take several weeks to several months and egg production will drop until its over.[​IMG]

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Why do people always recommend BOSS for higher protein? My bag says 15% protein! I know I have seen higher on the net, but I thought that was shelled. Just curious.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I would like to know also.. The bags of Black Oiled Sunflower Seed that I seen say 16% Protein on it... Now the Hulled Sunflower Seed is 24% Protein..
    I know that Black Oiled Sunflower Seed is a good source of oil for the birds when in molt but I don't think the Protein is all that high unless it is hulled...

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by