Best topical solution to stop pecking?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CheerioLounge, Nov 18, 2011.

1. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    I have searched the threads and have found that I am even more confused now! [​IMG] I know NOT to use Tri-care for wounds.

My girls have pecked each others vent areas bald and the one at the bottom of the pecking order has some bleeding. I have begun giving them high-protein supplements like BOSS and tuna and even throw them a lizard or two when I can catch them, but they are still pecking.

What is the best topical solution to this problem?

Thanks for your attention!

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Blue Kote works pretty good... be aware it is a stain and is hard to get off hands. this will help.. but finding out what is the cause is important. Perhaps string up a cabbage so they have something to pick at or give them a Flock Block to keep those beaks busy......

3. Jakenhoss

Jakenhoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would use "Rooster Booster Pick-No-More" I would also recommend 'Blu Kote" You can get both of these items through Jeffers.com spray the blu-kote and when it dries then apply the no-pick. It has a horrible taste, believe me, I tried it, and it should stop the picking.
    Hope this has helped you - Good luck

4. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Be aware: If I remember correctly, birds that have been treated with Blu Kote cannot be used for human consumption. I don't know if you ever use your chickens for meat, but it's something to bear in mind [​IMG]

5. CheerioLounge

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    Thanks Chickenzoo and jakenhoss, I'll try your suggestions. I have read mixed reviews of both products, but at this point I should find out for myself...

Quote:I don't eat my birds, strictly for eggs. Will it affect the eggs at all?

6. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    No, not at all. The eggs will be fine [​IMG]

7. CheerioLounge

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    Quote:[​IMG] Cool! Thanks!

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Blue kote works fine, but...
    One of my white t shirts has beautiful blue speckles that are gradually fading, applied by a hen being koted who suddenly started flapping. You should have seen my hands and face [​IMG]

9. CheerioLounge

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    Quote:[​IMG] I can imagine! While reading through the other posts on Blue Kote I came across all kinds of stories like that! One girl posted a pic of lots of very nice blue freckles!![​IMG] I'll be VERY careful!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    As having been through the wringer with feather picking let me share some info with you: None of them work. They are all somewhat effective, but truly dedicated feather pickers cannot be deterred from the habit. The one product that is pretty effective are the pinless peepers. The peepers were the most successful of all, and I tried Stop Pick/No Pick, Vicks VapoRub, Blukote, pine tar, dietary modifications, vitamin supplements and separation/segregation.

The way I finally stopped my feather picking problem was by culling out the worst offenders when they were caught multiple times. I now have a huge hen house that is practically empty because I had let the problem go for so long that it spread through the flock like wild fire. Monkey see, monkey do.

Sorry you are going through this. It's a bummer. I can say that having lived it for a year and having had most of my flock half-bald by the end of it.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by