1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

best treat for training? training tech??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrv19, Mar 31, 2016.

1. mrv19

mrv19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    Id like to eventually try to train my girls to come when called. They are 3 weeks now and spend days in coop/run, will be out there consistently by next week. I have a small cow bell ive been ringing before throwing treat down in the run. My hope is that eventually wjen they hear the bell they will associate it with treats and will come to the run. Is this a good technique ? I do not plan to free range entirely, rather just aupervised for short periods and confined to the backyard as best as i can.

Also
    ...what do u findis the best and most "motivating" treat? And do u only offer it during yoyr training sessions until they are consistent??

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    a coffee can with sunflower seeds worked for me, everyone has their own individual thing and the cowbell is yours I would stick with what you have and they will eventually learn, mine know now that when I walk to the door they better come running.

3. mrv19

mrv19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    Honestly the only reason i began with the cow bell is i knew that the sound travelled well. My fear is that when i begin supervised free ranging they will go off into neighbors yards and i want a quick way to get them to come to me no matter how far theyve wandered. The reality is i cant let them wander too far so "free ranging" for me would be ideal if it could mean sticking close by for an hour or so

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by