best treat on a cold blustery day

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Morgan7782, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    It's pretty chilly and cloudy here right now, reminds me of halloween. Windy too, lots of wind here today. I warmed up some plain mashed potatos, no salt or butter, and brought it out to the girls. They came RUNNING when they saw the warmed taters. Within a few minutes each chicken looked like santa clause, or rabid haha. White all over their beaks. But they settled down after and snuggled in their comfty chair.

What do you give on coldish days??

2. Mandy1296

Mandy1296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Jasper Georgia
    Warm taters sound like a great chilly weather treat! - Cream of Wheat works great for myself - might mix some yogurt in for the chickies! Now you've got me dreaming of and wishing for those chilly and cloudy days again! Will be so nice when we leave these very high 90's that we've been having here lately....

3. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

This will be our first winter with the chickens, but I'm looking forward to giving them oatmeal and grits on cold mornings.....like I don't already have enough breakfasts to make.....[​IMG]
    Mandy....I love your dogs![​IMG]

4. Mandy1296

Mandy1296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Jasper Georgia
    Oooo, forgot about oatmeal! Another good warm treat.

Thanks Zombie Chickens!

5. jrudolph305

jrudolph305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    We give our girls cold oatmeal every morning in this heat and mix in pulverized egg shells and any veggie scraps. When it gets cold we will just warm it up a little for them.

6. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I microwave oatmeal for my girls when it's cold here.

Also mix in some eggs with the oatmeal for a little extra protein, shells & all for more calcium.

Fixing oatmeal in the microwave only takes about 2 minutes & no pan to clean!

Wow, Morgan7782 - I am jealous of your weather.
    It's so hot & humid here I could probably poach an egg on the patio [​IMG]

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:OK, that's just mean to those of us down here baking in the Deep South. Just kidding.
    I cook mine spaghetti when it actually gets cold down here-they LOVE it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by