Best treat?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SoonersDucks, Nov 14, 2019.

1. SoonersDucks

SoonersDucks Chirping

Jun 26, 2019
    Enid, Oklahoma
    So I didn’t start off right with my ducks. I didn’t get them trained or use to human interaction. So whenever they see me or my wife coming, the flip out. I don’t see them as pets, but getting them “trained” to come for food or something would be very helpful.

what treats or food do your ducks go crazy for? Something that if you have it, they just come waddling right over?

2. Ratchnick

Ratchnick Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Anchorage Alaska
    Worms of any type. You can get Freeze dried meal worms or live nightcrawlers.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

It’s not a good time of year for digging worms but I can bring out the shovel or spade an I have an audience. So now I bring out dried meal worms and they go crazy. Mine love dry dog food to I put into a plastic coffee can with lid and shake it if they aren’t right there and they come running but usually all I have to do is walk into the room where I keep the feed and they are all standing at the door waiting for me. Start out by tossing some treats on the ground away from you and then over the course of a few weeks get them closer an closer. Don’t try an touch. I whistle and shake the can to bring mine in if they are out foraging

4. Runner duck mom

Runner duck mom Songster

Nov 15, 2017
    Georgia
  5. thumper650

thumper650 Crowing

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    My boys love peas, and dried mealworms. My hen on the other side LOVES dried mealworms, and if I give her peas, she sounds like she’s saying “ where’s the mealworms, I know you have some in the garage! “

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  6. Miss Lydia

7. thumper650

thumper650 Crowing

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    Autocorrect strikes again! I’m not making Kentucky Fried Mealworms!

8. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Free Ranging

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    My Coop
    :lau:gig :yuckyuck

Yep, agree with others about the mealworms...all my birds lose their minds if they hear a plastic bag shake at all! @WannaBeHillBilly was able to successfully switch from the mealworms to cat food though! :clap

WannaBeHillBilly and DuckyDonna like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

I was just wondering if you’d taken to frying up meal worms :lol: Mine request both meal worms and dog food:p

10. thumper650

thumper650 Crowing

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    Tonight’s special is mealworms, served on dog food, complimented with a dirty puddle. :drool

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: